C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Kyle E. Cleveland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 10:10:04 -0500
Trisha,

Thanks for your response.  I agree that "arguing" over belief systems is
inherently counterproductive.  As a Christian, I am not ashamed of Christ,
nor my belief, but I am very ashamed of the many horrible atrocities
committed through the ages in his name.  To state that, "Well, other
cultures have committed atrocities in the name of religion" does nothing but
create a red herring.  Guilt is there and should be admitted.  One has to
question, however, if these genocidal wars came from the mind of God or
mankind.

I personally feel that the biblical message and contemporary supporting
documentation of historical events is there for all literate people to see
and decide its truth.  Too many Christians have taken it upon themselves to
"convert" people when it's their job to present the message and let the
individual decide its validity or falsehood.

Regarding your statement: "I will say from personal experience the only
people who try to convert me are the Christians."  Yes, that's most likely
true as Christianity is the only major world religion where conversion of
others is part and parcel of its message.  Matthew 28:19-20 reads,
"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name
of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to
obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to
the very end of the age." So there's no sugar-coating that mandate that
Christians are indeed called to deliver this message.  Where we get into
trouble is when we press the issue.  Christ himself said in Matthew 10:13-15
to leave people alone if they are unreceptive to the message.  The apostle
Peter, in I Peter 3:1, tells the Christian that it is example, not
preaching, that will win people's hearts.

I also agree that Christianity has been confused in its purpose and
direction over the last 2000 years.  The writers of the canonical bible--Old
Testament and New--predicted this, so it should come as no great surprise.
It also should come as no surprise that Christians are today facing
derision, and in some cases true persecution, as never before.  I actually
welcome this as it means that Christianity is again "stirring the pot".  No
other belief forces you to make a decision like Christianity--you either
accept or reject it as Truth.

You said, "I don't share alot of the stuff I know because it is not my place
to rock anyone's faith."  Share away!  If what you share is truth, then it
will be self-evident.  If what you say is not truth, that will be evidenced
as well.

I think the main sticking point here is that so-called "Christianity" has
been bastardized for 2000 years and many "Christians" know so little about
what their bible has to say about how to conduct one's life.  They don't
read it for themselves, but accept others' teachings without question.
Paul's second letter to Timothy (II Tim. 2:15) lets Timothy know that he
himself is responsible for knowing what God has to say--not some guy in a
robe at the front of a church building.

As for your sentiments about the season, it's a shame that the season makes
a difference in anyone's life anyway.  As far as Christianity is concerned,
it wasn't until mankind "bastardized" the message that holidays were an
issue at all.  The apostle Paul in his letters to the churches at Colossus
(ch 2) and Rome (ch 14) makes it clear that one day or season was no greater
than any other.

So christianity is indeed diasporic after about 70 AD. After 300 AD it is
almost unrecognizable from the first century church.  The amazing thing is
that the Jewish prophet Daniel predicted this would happen some 500 years
before Christ was ever born in type/event prophecy!

Stepping off soapbox,
-Kyle