C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 09:52:56 -0400
Hi Elizabeth,

    They did a tri-ennual last year in March. Amber is very functional and
they provide services only for help with school. They decreed she doesn't
need OT or PT help to be in school. The only help she is eligble for is the
Special Teacher and then only 1 hour a week. I even have problems getting
them to help her in PE. Fairfax county has 19,000 special needs kids - my
mind boggles at the number! I once had a parent be very sorry for me when I
was being sympathic about her very affected child and how hard this must be.
She said - She was sorry for me because it  was worse for me because Amber
looks so normal and that was going to make life hard. The teacher is working
with her on typing. But how much can she do in 1 hour once a week - which
was why I wanted another avenue for Amber - she can tell you all about what
she wants to write but poops out before it gets written. I understand I do
everything at the keyboard because it takes to long to write.

    I hate to whine about Amber - she is so beautiful, so good,  so smart
and so functional for a kid predicted to never walk or talk. Never the less
the world is set up for two handed people and one handed ones need help
adapting!!

        The electrodes are in different sizes depending on where thay are
located. thin rectangluar ones for her back, large and small squares for her
tummy and arm and round for her thumb. Mayatek's came pre - gelled but the
gel gave out quickly and then she would get uncomfortable.

        Actually, I got fairly confrontational with the PT who did the eval
and said no. She just doesn't have the resources to send someone to see
Amber - and I wouldn't want to take services away from some child who may
need it worse. Their criteria are it must interfer with her school work and
with Amber it's easy to say - she just needs to work harder and apply
herself, get organized - whatever!!!

                                    Brightest Blessings
                                          Trisha