C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 12:48:52 -0400
Kyle,

>right-hemi, struggling with pain and spasticity exacerbated by the aging
>process.

    Amber is Right Hemi but more importantly the question is the involvement
level - How well does your right hand perform? Amber in the mild to moderate
range. mild because she can walk? moderate because she can't do all her own
self care? I am asking becasue typing is becoming an insurmountable odd and
Fairfax county can't afford a voice recognition for her and her hand - the
finger don't move - she moves her hand  so a key board is slow for her. We
have also come to a major impass at opening cans - she can't used the turny
kind nor the electric becasue botyh require 2 hands, cans that come with
pull off lids are dangerous for her - she already seriously cut her twice. I
do the stuff for her now - but I can't be there for the rest of life opening
pudding, fruit or cat foods cans. Perhaps if you're close to her ability
level you can share your magic.

    Background on her hand - it was completely paralized with the use of 8
years of e-stim assisted pt - it became functional and actually was doing
well when the insurance ceased to cover it and my parents paid for while but
decided it was unnecessary - in past 9 months since she has stopped - she is
regressing. My parents are going to use the stim units and my mom will
stretch her - while they have her for the summer.

    She can use her hand but it requires her complete attention be on her
hand not on anything else - she literally forces it to do stuff - she
prefers just to do stuff one handed because of this. We have adapted a
number things from pants pulling up - to where we eat dinner. Her very best
friend  father is from Jordan and he consider the left hand - dirty ? anyway
the father objects to her eating  because she uses her left hand - even tho
he understands why. Since I also eat prodominately with my left hand - being
European and not doing the knife and hand switching thing. We eat still
there occassionally but in a different room so as not to offend.

       Perhaps you can share a bit with me?

                                       Brightest Blessings
                                              Trisha