C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 14:09:12 -0400
Hi Mike,

        I was given the choice - When I ask the doctor if he was going to do
an Animo on me because I was an older mother - he ask if the fetus had a
problem was I going to keep it  - I said of course  and he said so why do
the amino. Let's face facts here - Amber is alive because of technology -
she was born almost 9 weeks early and deathly ill. We have moved the
frontiers of preemies' living and old folks and/or the infirm staying
around. We took that out nature's hands - did anyone ever ask if that was
right?

>        To me that is the crux of the matter...  It's okay to wax
>philosophical about infanticide and abortion, but my feeling is that
>when you face them personally, they take on a new meaning

    They are not very philosophical questions if you're a woman and a
responsible one.
You can't get pregnant.  I was raped the first time at  age 11 by my
stepfather - thankfully he never made me pregnant then or any of other
times. I faced it again as a young woman when a friend brother raped when I
spent the night at their house.Anyone does that to my Amber and she gets
pregnant - you best bet she having an abortion. Children don't need to be
having babies. Just being violated is enough to handle. You feel filthy for
the rest of your life and you know you are never good enough for decent
people. After she is older - its her decision and I will stand by her either
way.

    I watched a co-worker smoke thru out her entire pregnancy and give birth
to a badly defective baby - that had no chance of survival and she insisted
they keep the child alive - and it struggled unable to breathe, blue tinged
because neither its heart nor lungs worked, etc. 10 days later she had them
pull the plug. It died immediately on the spot. I would never have done that
Amber. I would have held her and let her die in peace. If something happened
now - I would hold her and tell her to look for the light - I would not call
her back any more than I would have aborted her.

    Giving someone a choice doesn't mean they will have an abortion - it
means they get think thru it. Forcing them to have the child( one they may
have decided to keep on their own if you had left well enough alone) might
mean the child becomes a target of resentment. Trust people to do what's
best. Right for one person isn't right for another.

    Sorry, Mike using Amber to pull on my heart strings doesn't work -
that's probably one of 13 fallacies of arguements. Ever take logic? Neat
study.

                                Blessed Be
                                    Trisha