C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carla Rockwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2012 01:08:30 -0400
Jim,

Your experience is why I avoid hospitals at all costs. For some time, I've
had progressively worrisome cardiac issues that will at some point require
repair.

In the interim, I shall continue with 'managed care' (my own!) with a
prescription that has worked well thus far - measured infusions of single
malt 'medicine' :)

Years ago, I was treated in the ER by a doctor, who after poking me in the
stomach while I sat in my wheelchair,diagnosed 'indigestion'. She then asked
me what cerebral palsy is! I wasn't long leaving AMA and filing a complaint
with the chief of ER Med Services, then calling my own doc at home who
arranged further consults. I was later found to have Grade Two (two holes in
the valve) Aortic Insufficiency. It is that GTAI which is 'seeming' to be
the culprit with current problems, though I suspect that spinal stenosis has
entered into the mix and is the prime mover of the ticker trouble.

As well, my father (a physician) on more than one occasion, told me to
never, ever let a surgeon near my back, no matter what was/might be offered
in terms of relief. Those words resound! Just a few days ago, I was met here
at my home by an OT for a wheelchair fitting (I use a chair only for mall
outings to reduce spine stress and combat fatigue). The OT commented that I
had 'perfect' sitting posture. Again, it's something I work at in aid of
ensuring that things don't get too far off track with regard to maintaining
status quo.

Your experience, as horrendous as it was, must be a lesson to all of us as
we age with cerebral palsy.

Wishing you steady recovery.

Best!

Carla
http://users.xplornet.com/~terrier
There is a destiny that makes us brothers; None goes his way alone; All that
we send into the lives of others Comes back into our own [Edwin Markham]