C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2008 11:10:01 -0700
Ken,

It's not easy, is it?  I'm frequently faced on a professional basis with
finding resources for people to get things they need to live with their
disabilities, and the system that's supposed to care often doesn't

Not in complete defense of doctors, but in many cases, especially with
inpatient care, their hands are tied by insurance companies.  I know he is
of a different generation (before health care was driven by insurors), but
my dad often provided care for people free of charge, or on a "barter"
system.

 There was one guy who had a really bad head injury that dad took care of
who was an artist.  Because of the head injury, the guy thought he'd never
be able to paint again.  Dad gave him a photograph of my granddad, and asked
him to paint a portrait from it.  It took the guy over a year to paint it,
but it was beautiful, and occupied a place of honor in my grandmothers house
until she died (22 years after granddad, and has hung in my parents house
since.  It restored the artists faith in his ability, and may now (30 years
later), be worth at least three times as much as the fees dad would have
charged.