C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:42:57 -0400
Hi Jason,

    Has the school district done its testing yet? Its a Federal Law - Public
Law 94-142 for a special needs child and her right. They must place her in
the least restrictive environment and provide her with some assistance.

   Using Amber ( Right Hemi) as an example - she was tested for Kindergarten
by Fairfax County and found eligible. I checked the program and was apalled
by the sheer number of kids and the fact they had 1/2 day classes. I put her
in a special pilot program for private schools - she was in a class of 12
and had a therapist come in several times a week and work with her and it
was an all day class. Once she began the County Schools here in Virginia
(Fairfax) they had started a program of max kids for 1st and 2nd grade of
15. She had an IEP and an Physical Disabilities Itenerant teacher wich came
in twice a week to work with her. My experience was postive. Amber started
school solely for special needs kids at a younger age - 22 months - so she
was aclimatized to the class room environment.

  I would not worry about the term Special Ed - it covers everything today.
While conveys bad stuff to older folks - In truth the Special ED dept here
is broken up into what the childs needs are - Orthopedic, MR, Visual, etc.
Amber is classified as Orthopedically Impaired and she is entitled to
adaptions where needed and X amount of time from the Physical Disabilities
Itenerant teacher - PDI. She is even in Gifted/Talented or Honors classes
and has taken Advanced Placement Courses.

                            Brightest Blessings - Trisha