C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"J. McCarthy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 12:31:51 -0700
I wasn't going to add to the fray, but....

A few months after getting my Bachelor's, my SSI
stopped when my odd jobs put me above the income max.
I was able to keep medicaid for a few more years,
which was great because it allowed me time to find a
full-time position with health insurance benefits.  So
since about 1997, I have been employed full-time (40+
hours/week).  In 2001, I gave up a $15/hr job to be
happy. (long story)  I now work at a state university
making about $10/hr and loving my job. I grew up in a
lousy 2 bedroom duplex in a slummy part of town with
my brother and single mom for about 15 years (most
funds came from my SSI and other public assistance).
When I married, my husband and I moved into a
not-so-great 1 bedroom appartment.  Then when my
husband found a job in town, we rented a nice 2bd/2ba
apartment.  Now we own a nice 3bd/2ba house with pool
in a nice neighborhood.

I'm not gloating or looking for praise.  I am but
showing others that "You can do it!" and become a
productive member of society - despite having a
disability.  I've known a few severely disabled folks
who work at home doing Internet stuff.  Some may not
make enough to come off SSI, but that's not the point.
 The point is to become a "giver" (or at least
"contributor") instead of a "taker" in this world.

Getting off soapbox now,
Jennifer  (who works with a stroke victim who's
similarly disabled)

P.S.  You may be offended by the meaning of what I say
(or not agree with it), but please don't be so
sensitive as to take offense to the exact words I use.
There's too much in this world to get upset about to
let simple symantics and word choices bother you. IMHO

--- "Cleveland, Kyle E." <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
> Lot's of head-scratching going on right now from the
> powers-that-be.  This
> gives me a little time to come out from my "bumker",
> dial-in and respond to
> some emails:
>
> I've done a lttle research on the topic, though my
> "sources" are not handy
> right now.  Anyway, the vast majority of CPers are
> either hemis or
> diplegics, with "mild" CP.  This also translates to
> most CPers working
> full-time in either mainstream jobs, or jobs
> associated with disabiliies
> (for example:  all of the office workers at my
> physiatrist's university
> clinic are disabled with some sort of motor
> disorder, or they are amputees.

=====
TTYL,
Jennifer