C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kendall David Corbett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:10:09 -0700
Kathy Jo,

I think the majority of people I've met or known who are adults with CP
have some combination of the three things you mentioned.

I know a woman in Washington State who is a perfect example.  Sharon is
in her 50's or so, is married, lives on her own, and has some help
during the day to do some things.  She is involved in a national
committee that I also serve on, and an assistant travels with her when
she comes to these meetings.

Janet (my wife) has lived on her own, in a college dorm, in roommate
situations, or with me (1997, when we got married) since 1979, when she
graduated from high school.  I've done basically the same thing.  We
don't have children, but it's not because of our disabilities, per se.
We are actively pursuing the possibility of adopting a child.  We were
in our late thirties when we got married, and have had a series of
miscarriages, that the doctor says were not related to our disabilities.

Kendall Corbett

-George Bernard Shaw 1856-1950