C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:04:06 -1000
This film seem ok but .....
These risk takers when they hurt themselves fall on society and
family members. I am thinking of the motorcyclists who refuse to wear
helmets and many other extreme sports people. I knew a guy who used
to ride his Harley with his friends and the day was one bar stop
after another. He fell off his motorcycle and crunched his leg, could
not work, take care of his children, etc. My life has been adversely
impacted when I have to pick up the responsibility for a risk taker
who is hospitalized for doing something basically stupid.
Is it ok to go for the thrill when that can cause many others to lose
income when they have to take care of things that person can now not
do? Here in Hawaii they still let children ride in the back of pick
up trucks. Big wave surfers often are helicoptered to emergency rooms
at taxpayer expense. I had a boyfriend who used to sky dive. I did
not feel as a single parent that was something I could do because who
would take care of the children if something happened to me. I'd
rather see these dollars spent on people with medical problems
encountered through no fault of their own, like CP.
That is not to say I do not appreciate that disabled people need more
access to the world.
I think risk taking is a sign of stress and a symptom that society is
not fulfilling and adequately engaging its members.  It's going to
get much worse with this war because traumatized people engage in
this type of behavior. Just my thoughts.