C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carla MacInnis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 17:41:43 -0700
Hi Peoples,

  I have always found that if I address the inflammation associated with moving
and causing stress/strain on back, legs, or arms, a natural anti-inflammatory
works well. Also, in my own experience, if I treat the inflammation, I
concurrently treat the spasming which, for me, is confined to the legs only. You
might introduce Devil's Claw (tablet form) into your daily regimen - taking 1
three times daily for a period of 20 weeks or so, then scaling backwards
incrementally, to 0, building back up again to the 3 a day dosing, then scaling
backwards, and so on. A natural calmative like Calms Forte, by Hyland Homeopathic
Remedies might also be an alternative for some who have no result with
traditional Rx anti-spasmodics. Calms can be taken throughout the day, as well as
at bedtime as a natural sleep aid.

  The way I see it, I'd rather go the homeopathic route, than be stoned stupid as
I age with cerebral palsy. I think, for the most part (though I may be wrong)
that doctors tend to over-medicate us oldsters, and that is often a mistake.We
are then set up for more stupified falling injuries (if we walk) and recovery
from fractures takes longer than it did when we were younger.

  Passive exercises will also help with spasming; swimming is good. For those who
don't swim, get your doctor to book you some time at the PT dept for some range
of motion exercises to keep you in shape. If you really want to reduce your
spasming, come to my house for spring cleaning. I'm getting a late start.

Cheers!

Carla
http://www.brunnet.net/terrier