C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jennifer Podgur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 11:05:24 -0400
Hello there,

First I would like to thank you for taking the time to read this. My name is Jennifer and I work for an organization that aligns youth with disabilities to adults with a similar disability with the purpose of developing a mentee / mentor relationship. We also have fabulously successful theatrical programs, youth in preparation for independence programs, parent programs, health oriented programs and entrepreneurial programs with state representatives as our key note speakers and health classes taught with one of our partners; the Y (YMCA / YWCA).

The youth are age 3 - 22 and they often look to their assigned mentor as a role model, a champion and a friend. We have two programs that provide direct 'Mentor / Mentee' relationships;

Partners On Line - this program allows the relationship to exist and grow via the internet / email at a minimum. (We are constantly on the search for donated computers and software so we can outfit the children and adults in need with the tools to fulfill their Mentee / Mentor relationship.)

Mentor Match - This program requires in person meetings, at least 1 a month and contact via phone and email (if possible)

All relationships are subject to security checks. Our constituents have all types of physical, sensory and/or learning disabilities.

The geography we cover spans New England, New York, and Berkeley, CA.  We have hundreds of active relationships and a waiting list of over 100 people.

If you are interested in learning more about being a Mentee or a Mentor and you live in the aforementioned regions, or you know of someone who does and may be interested, please email me at [log in to unmask]

Our Mission is to provide the youth with disabilities a resource and a friend but we can't do it without your help.

Thank you for your time.