C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bobby Greer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 09:43:11 -0500
>In a message dated 11/09/1999 6:46:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>[log in to unmask] writes:
>
><<  I have had some training in "critical incident debriefing".
> Basically, it consists of getting all the people involved in the incident,
> emergency personnel and others, together to talk about what happen. The aim
> of this is to prevent PTSD which is exactly what you experienced the day
> you relived the incident. Debriefing gets everyone to talk about what they
> saw, heard, felt and smelled during the incident. Then, you talk about the
> emotions elicited. All of this immediate processing is supposed to allay
> some of the PTSD occurences. I
> have no idea if it works. Fortunately, I have never used it.
>  >>

>They were just starting to use critical incident debriefings when I was in
>the FD.  We never had one in our department, although I can clearly remember
>calls that could qualify.  I studied a little about this too, and it's neat
>to know someone else who knows about this stuff.
>
>I'm sorry to hear about Paul.  It sounds like his death has had major
>consequences for you.  Of course, I'm sorry to hear about Maxx too.
>
>This thread seems massively productive -- what an outpouring!
>
>Betty

Betty,

        First, thanks for your response. I am not sure that Bob is all wrong
about "groaning and moaning". It never has really helped mr, probably due
to my upbringing in the John Waynes, be a man" venue.
        It's going to be a while before I forget Paul and Maxx. We have the
sweetest dog now, but she is so different from Maxx. Anyway, I have a
doctoral
student waiting about his dissertation, so I'd better go.

Bobby