BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"Let us not speak foul in folly!" - ][<en Phollit
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 10:15:27 -0800
John,  Yes, Windham went under in 1979, I think.  Avictim of the end of the
draft and the Iran hostage crisis.  At the end they had a large number of
Iranian students to fill the slots and when the hostages were taken the
Iranian govt, which was footing the bill, called the students home and that
was the end of Windham.  The college owed large amounts of money to the
feds for various loans they had gotten for building projects so the govt
essentially owned the place.  There were various schemes floated to use the
campus, one was a med security prison, also a refugee camp for displaced
persons from South America it seems to me.  These were all turned down by
the townsfolk and our congressional delegation, thankfully, saw to it that
these things did not come to pass.  Eventually Landmark bought it and now
they have about 150 students there.  This is a far cry from the 900 Windham
had at the peak.  That was way too many for such a small town.

I am surprised they turned you down.  I think you're the only person they
didn't accept, it was known as the college you could go to if you couldn't
get in anywhere else.  Ruth

--
Ruth Barton
Westminster, VT