BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jan 2004 07:12:46 -0600
No.  They don't.  (My WORD!  Such language!)

There is much they do not realize.  Most of what they don't realize, is
what drove their grandparents off the farm and into the city.  Back in
the days when the city was much more glamorous.  Before the reality of
the city drove their parents to the suburbs.  But, there is some good
news for you.  It appears that the new big thing is to move back into
the city.

But, I've got it figured out!  I'm going to get somebody's great
grandfather's farm, just outside of a 19th century lumber town that
shriveled up to a tiny village, without becoming a quaint tourist
destination; and I'm gonna raise a herd of sugar maple and white oak
and white pine and sour cherry.  I think I'll grow some hedgerows
around the perimeter of Mulberry...If I do get neighbors like yours,
they'll probably never figure out that the reason they have goooie
droppings all over their house and cars is because of those cute birds
and my lovely trees.  And I'll get to chuckle.

Sometimes I worry about all this effort to save family farms.  I wonder
if that isn't a euphemism for something that has little to do with
farming.  The farmers I've known personally have all been rather tough
individuals, intellectually and physically, don't need to be saved,
mostly want to be left alone...but not in an unfriendly way.

No, they don't have any idea how much shit is involved in farming, nor
its size, nor how to recycle it.  Just don't you forget that being
drawn to your neighborhood is a compliment.  Folks have to be taught to
care for the land.  Folks have to be taught how to care for damn near
everything.  Its the bright and inquisitive people who tend to try
living in new places.  They can be taught.  Its probably easier to
teach than to run them off.

On the other hand, annoying them should be fun.