BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pam Stevenson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"Let us not speak foul in folly!" - ][<en Phollit
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 08:43:27 -0500
Ruth -

I started out with the Cub Scouts, and was surprised when my co-leader and I
were invited up to the troop.  We really thought they would have a hard time
with it because there had been mothers involved in some outings where they
proved they could be real mothers, if you catch my drift.  Fortunately, we
proved ourselves when we were told to show the boys how to tie some knots
and I did a bowline with one hand (you never know when your other hand will
be holding on to a twig in the cliff, saving your life), and the other woman
pitched a tent in the dark with some decent tautline hitches.

My co-leader eventually was asked to be the Scout Master, which she took,
but she's been trying to resign for 2 years - no one wants to replace her,
and a lot of the boys are quitting (including my younger son - the older one
quit a few years ago) because it's getting boring for them.  She really
doesn't have the time, and no one seems to understand how to guide the boys
to figure out their own program.  Seems like they lecture it, but don't put
it into practice.  Based on my own schedule, I've had to cut out the weekly
meetings.  I do work at the Cub Scout Resident camp every summer, for the
last 7 years - 6 years as the sports director (amazing for someone who's not
athletically inclined) and last year teaching campfire cooking in the
Renaissance.  I put on a pretty decent Irish accent - at least one good
enough to fool the National inspectors (not UN inspectors) into thinking
they'd really found someone from Ireland to work at camp.  For me, it's a
playtime vacation.

- Pam