BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Leeke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "That's gneiss but I think you're full of schist!"
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 13:33:48 -0400
Has anyone had experience removing oil from brick masonry:
>how do you get oil off a brick
>building, maybe three feet up the wall where it has been accumulating for
>many decades.  The building is a garage used to wash large vehicles.  It
>was constructed around 1905 by the city street car company and was taken
>over by the city bus company after it aquired the street car company in
>1929.  Someone suggested sand blasting and I got very nervous and said
>there must be an alternative.  Now I have to make good on my threat.  I
>know that microbes have been used in water and on land, so long as the soil
>is kept moist.  And I know that phenols are used by the Air Force to clean
>airplane parts prior to reassembly.  I was hoping there might be something
>else, like constant misting with soapy water over several days.

John Leeke, Preservation Consultant

publisher:               Practical Restoration Reports
contributing editor: Old-House Journal
postal:                    26 Higgins St., Portland, Maine  04103, USA
phone & fax:           01 207 773-2306
email:                      [log in to unmask]
website:                  www.HistoricHomeWorks.com