BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Hilary L. Hopper" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Ants of Unregenerate Luddism"
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 21:25:59 -0400
Environmental racism, basically means that bad environmental behavior by big
companies often goes on next door to poor communities and communities of
color, etc..... it suggests that big bad evil companies often choose the
poor and oppressed to locate next to, because it is assumed that such people
will not have the wherewithal to put up a fuss about sloppy or shitty
environmental behavior. This basic locational fact has become a major
subtheme in the fields of environmental studies, law, geography, politics,
etc and is referred to as "environmental justice" research. My work to
prevent a landfill from expanding over a cave in a poor rural (Appalachian)
community in so. KY would be part of this field, were I to learn the
post-marxist jargon and start going to symposia.
Hilary
At 02:30 PM 9/22/99 EDT, you wrote:
>In a message dated 9/22/99 12:59:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>[log in to unmask] writes:
>
>> My first assignment to my architecture students is to go to the library and
>>  copy a few pages of architecture writing which is, in their opinion, the
>>  most outrageous piece of baloney they can find.
>
>My kind of class. I'll audit. I love reading outrageous balony.
>
>Since we are on topic, does anyone know what "environmental racism" is? I
>overheard this as being a subject of profound seriousness and I am curious to
>know more.
>
>][<en

Hilary Lambert Hopper

"If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood me."  - Alan
Greenspan