BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 2011 14:15:54 -0400
Ralph-
When I was still in NJ, we replaced the shake roof on the c. 1740
building that I worked in. I consulted with a bunch of very
knowledgable roofers at the time. Our roof was 20 years old, and
failing. A number of the roofers said that you could expect a shake
roof to last for 50 years with decent maintenance-- ours failed so
quickly because they had only installed about 1/2 the number of shingle
per square foot than should have been installed. A cautionary tale
indeed.

In any case... the roofing brain trust that I consulted gave pretty
much the same advice that Ken did for moss growth: Use a solution of
what was essentially Round-up or bleach to kill the growth, and wash
with water. May need to repeat for maintenanceif the moss is heavy, but
probably worth it since the roof could potentially have another 25
years of life-span.

my .02

-Heidi