BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Spencer Leineweber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 09:49:56 -1000
>I think Spencer's comment ! is a bit strong.<

So I finally come off lurking on the list and I get stabbed through the
heart with an exclamation point!  Guess my tag will have to be <!> or is
that >!<?

I love exclamation points, they make people know you mean what you say. I
thought we were in a crisis situation here, after all "Chris, are you
interested in recycled "ripple"glass?" was the opening salvo.  I remember
how fast that microfilm reader moved. To say nothing of the fact there
isn't a single ear of corn in the bins at Stop 'n Shop.  So, next time I
will add...in my experience...

So I am reminded of a project early in my career when I removed these truly
hideous 40' fins of aluminum added during the early 60s on the front facade
of a beautifully proportioned  art deco building.  There was no reasonable
explanation for them except a serious seduction of the Owner by the Kaiser
aluminum salesman.  I did careful studies of sun angles throughout the year
and no sun ever really hit that elevation.  So off they came, even sold
them to a recycle guy.  However, we had to enter only one spring (contrary
to popular belief we do have spring in Hawaii, it is winter we don't have),
when the elevation was COVERED with serious Department-of-Health-hazard
bird shit.  It was something about the soft light at dusk on the building's
decorative elements that the starlings loved. So, I learned that the
explanation you may think was the reason may not be the reason at all, and
to always look for one more answer. I also learned that it pays to
recycle...because you can sometimes reuse things yourself.

Spencer >!<