BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nicholas Micros <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The fundamentally unclean listserv <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 14:58:46 -0500
>From: Ralph Walter <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Mott Schmidt's 1928 Regency-style townhouse...
>Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 11:22:35 EST
>
>In a message dated 1/19/2003 12:04:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>[log in to unmask] writes:
>

> > "features Roche limestone imported from France" on the facace, says the
> > contractor.     Is it credible that the limestone for this 36' wide
>house,
> > 6 stories high would have been brought overseas?
>
>Mr. Sharpshooter,
>
>Seems credible to me.  The limestone at Altman's, which is considerably
>bigger than 6 stories x 36' wide, is reported to have been French.  Whether
>or not it was made by the Roches is unknown to me.  Would be interesting to
>compare masonry conditions at Chez Schmidt to the Altman's block.
>
>Then again, the Caen stone at Grand Central is made of (presumably) Native
>American plaster.  I think that's what it's made of.
>
>Ralph

Dear Sharpralph:

It seems credible to me too, a building so narrow. Seems a little incredible
though for the size of the Altman's Building. Seems like that stone matches
to closely in color to American Limestones. Why go abroad?

I restored the two marble fountains, originally in the building, now in the
lobby of Oxford Univ. Press, which is in the Altmans Building. I know that
Pasvalco Co. in Closter, NJ supplied the dutchman stock for the exterior
work. Maybe they could identify the stone.

There are many French Limestones. I have never encountered any on a project.
The ones I know tend towards a golden color and are extremey soft , like
gypsum. You can cut it with a wood saw blade.

Caen stone came from Normandy and was used often in Paris. The interior of
Grand Central Station is immitation Caen made from plaster from God knows
where.

Recently, I was involved with trying to find replacement Caen stone, for a
project at the Cloisters  ( 13th century set of windows from France, set in
the exterior wall of the building). Apparently, Caen is no-longer quarried,
Someone built a Macdonald's over the old quarry. "Richmont" is one stone
offered as a substitute, with similar color and compressive strength. I can
dig up the # of the importer if any one needs it.

There is another Frenchy called "Savonier"(also found in the Swiss Jura) and
another from Provence called "Lacrosse"(sp?). The Savonier can have alot of
shell in it. It is comparable to "Texas Cream". Both are golden and soft.

A relative of mine, Tim Andreadis of Cheshire CT., is off to Dartmouth in
September too. He is a Cross Country Champ and a great kid.

Nick