BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Maltby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2010 10:26:57 -0400
Rudy:

Speaking/writing as a conservator who has used Acryloid B-72 for a
number of years, this is not an application that I would consider it
for.  B-72 is an amazing resin - very stable & very versatile - it is
used as a consolidant, adhesive & coating by conservators.  It has a
very high glass transition temperature which makes it a great adhesive
in hot climates (I used to work on excavations in Jordan where heat
tolerance was an issue with any of the ceramics I repaired).  Frankly,
I consider it an indoor material - I don't know of anyone using it
outside.  If the sign were inside I'd say consider it but not outside.
  The other issue with B-72 is the gloss - it can be pretty shiny.
Maybe they need to look at what is being used for traditional
wallpaintings?

Sue Maltby, Conservator
Maltby & Associates Inc.