BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cuyler Page <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 2010 10:17:26 -0800
Ahhhh, perfect, John!    The videos and notes are just what was needed to be
shared with folks here.  (especially given the local common commercial
practice of high heat or toxic chemicals)

Regarding fire ignition of wood, the local firemen who attended the historic
building interior wall and closet fire here last year said they thought the
wood was simply so old and dry that it would ignite at temperatures as low
as 110 or 120 but I don't know if they were referring to F. or C.    One of
them spoke of having a fireman friend in England "Where the houses are a lot
older and the wood a lot dryer, and that fires can start where domestic hot
water pipes pass through walls."

Urban legend or reality?    It just doesn't match up with my Boy Scout days
of trying to start campfires, but I know that long tern radiant heat from
the sun in desert country can make exposed wood look like charred wood.

What is the physics of this supposed low ignition point theory?  Is it
possible?   What about Fahrenheit 451?  (really 450 C).

cp in bc
(appreciative & thankful, John!)