BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Hammarberg, Eric" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv that takes flossing seriously! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 2005 22:05:44 -0500
Oh man those were the days. In '79 my college housemates and I hitched to
Boston from Providence one cold Saturday to get Pennysaver audio toys. We
got an AR but only for the motor, platter and pivot. We called the tone arm
a baseball bat, $25. Then we got a Grace tonearm, a beautifully tapered
aluminum channel with holes drilled thru it for weight reduction. It had
bare gold wires epoxied to it for the phono cartridge signal (the epoxy
isolated the 4 wires). The tone arm had an oil damped uni-pivot so you had
to balance it in 360-degrees, $125. Got a new moving coil cartridge and
preamp, $275. Lastly, since the base of the AR was also substandard, we cast
a solid concrete base. Total weight about 100-lbs and NEVER any rumble,
noise or feedback. Total cost about $450. What a cool set up alongside a
pair of Dynaco 400w amps, etc. Right after that we decided audio wars with
college room mates was too expensive and we formed a band. Last I heard, the
turntable still pays great! The band, well we were called, Some Not Overly
Talented, actually the acronym.

Eric