BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deb Bledsoe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "The Cracked Monitor"
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 12:04:40 -0500
as opposed to a frivolous request  ;)

I will be in NYC for a short time in the near future to assess
the condition of and make a long-range plan for the home of my
uncle, who is older and has been ill.....

He lives on State St. in Brooklyn, near the intersection of
Atlantic and Flatbush.  His house is full of stuff, most of which
needs to be disposed of (in my humble opinion  ;) ).
Recently he has begun to agree with me, thus the invitation to
pop out to Brooklyn and start pitching.......

I remember from previous visits, various leaking faucets and frayed
wires as well, and radiators that didn't function properly.  All
these items were attended to in the past by tradesmen who came out,
left AWFUL messes, and never quite seemed to be able to fix the
problems..... Uncle assured me that this was NY and I had to understand
that doing business there is difficult at best.... that one couldn't
just leave a job and run around the block to a supply store for a
particular part, what with traffic, parking, unhelpful sales help, etc.
and that these guys were doing the best they could.  Right.

So what I wondered was, could any of you recommend plumbers, electricians,
haulers (junkmen  ;) ), guys with pickup trucks, painters, HVAC folks,
or any other useful resources on whom I could call should the need
arise?  Like, the phone number and location of the nearest dump that
accepts old furniture and appliances?  ;)  (Do they even HAVE dumps
in NYC? The papers here would lead you to believe you drive your stuff
down to some barge at the waterfront and it's hauled out to sea and
sunk or something.......)

I think for the present I will mostly be attending to emergency repairs
and pitching stuff, but the last time I spoke with him he was talking
about the "addition" he is planning... I asked him about his architect,
and he said, what architect?
Uh-oh......
wish me luck   ;)

Deb Bledsoe

(mail me off the list at
unless you think the info would be of general interest...

and thanks in advance for your help! )