BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Rabinowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Rabinowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 17:08:41 -0500
It's the heat and low UV stability that makes me tend to avoid it,
especially for dutchman work.  Mixing proportion is 2 to 3% catalysts to
resin.  You go calculate that on a dusty scaffold 60 foot in the air!  If
you add too much, and you're bound to because who wants to have to redo the
whole damn thing because the resin didn't set, it will put off a lot of
heat.  My concern is not that it will fry the stones but that the expansion
associated with that heat will lead to a weakened bond and poor alignment or
cracking of joints after set.  The typical use in modern cladding systems is
less of a problem as it's usually just globbed on around mountings and
otherwise exposed.

I prefer the slower setting epoxies, Sikadur is what I use or call for
mostly.  The slow set also allows for adjusting the piece into exact
position but you have to leave it until the next day before more work.
Also, it's not moisture sensitive, can be applied to damp surfaces while I
believe Akemi has to be used dry only.

Mark