BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Krugman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 13:15:16 EDT
I used to work until quite late at night in the Proprietary House, Perth Amboy
NJ, the last extant Governor's mansion from the original 13 colonies (it is
part house museum, part offices). It has a wing that used to be a hotel (late
18th C.).

On a couple of occasions, I got this strange feeling in the pit of my stomach,
something tingle-y about the atmosphere. The first time it happened, it was
quite unnerving. I was packing up to leave, when the corner of a dark heavy
fabric flicked by the doorway. I slammed and locked door, thinking that I was
about to be mugged. Nothing. After about 10 minutes, I locked the place up and
raced to my car.

I discovered a couple of months later that other tenants had experienced
similar strange experiences, including seeing a little boy in colonial dress
riding up and down the elevator in the middle of the night and restrooms
festooned in toilet paper overnight. They told me the Prop. House legend about
a wicked uncle who killed his 10 yr old nephew by throwing him out the window
of the hotel and then obsconded with his money. That window was right outside
the door to my office suite.

Maybe that's why I was feeling a little skittish ... 200 years later.

MDK