BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cuyler Page <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kitty tortillas! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 17:46:50 -0800
> What I gained  for being a dunderhead was that all these people
immediately
> know if they are "recognized "and it must be a breath of fresh air to be
> treated  well normal
> thats my two cent anyway Michael.

Yea, the joys of the naive!   Once, back in 1962 post-student days, I went
to visit a girl friend and her friends at Radcliff-Harvard, while
hitchhiking around North America.   I was heading for Ithaca next, and a
friend girl student from the old hometown said, "Oh, daddy is here in Boston
for the day.  They sent a plane to get him this morning and will be taking
him back to Ithaca for supper, so why don't you catch a ride with him and
save that awful overnight bus trip.  I will call him to say you are coming.
Just make sure you are at Gate#x at the Boston airport by 4:30 pm."   So,
after spending a few precious dollars to get to the airport, I was ushered
to Harvard's deliciously upholstered Lear Jet where "daddy", Hans Bethe, was
waiting for my arrival.   I didn't know who he was, just that he was
someone's dad, and during the trip we had a great chat about the changing
nature of modern physics (as viewed from my 22 year old brain).   It was
only a few years later, when I saw the announcement of his Nobel Prize, that
I understood that this sweet and polite gentlemanly gem of a person was one
of the giants of modern physics, who had responded so graciously during a
delightful hour's flight to my youthful social banter about "And what do you
do for a living?"

cp in bc (physically)