BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Tegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 May 2009 06:30:53 -0400
why I keep coming here...

It's now quite early and I'm gearing up for my second cup of coffee.
On this trip to Machias,Maine, it took more than a week to let down--
before yesterday, I was exhausted all day long! Maybe it was that
excursion to Jasper Beach yesterday that turned the tides (so to speak).

There was a fire in town yesterday-- one of those cigarette urns lit a
bush which, in turn, lit the soffit of an old building. That spread to
a wall and floor above. The adjacent office and kitchen of the local
natural foods store was then--quickly-- on fire. The volunteer fire
departments from four surrounding towns showed up. They arrested
further fire but the store is a mess. This will take a long time and
flocks of folks to deal with.

This reminds me that it's not the hit but the complex consequences
that constitute the work and pain.

My sister and I called on the owner to express our condolences and
lent a hand emptying freezers of meat into ice chests. She gave us ice
cream which we ate with my sister's strawberry rhubarb pie later that
night  supper was late again

Of course, you can imagine, I was touched by how so many townsfolk
showed up to help-- we were only two of many plus there were all those
firemen doing their manly best-- men are quite likeable when they
muster their brawn to help. Of course, they love to do this kind of
work together-- equipment, danger, special clothes, walkie-talkies.
The newspaper lady was right there in the thick of it too-- looking
like a painted bunting amidst the men in fire gear.

Anyway, the fire could have spread-- lots of wood buildings close
together. That turnout and the gesture of ice cream reminds me why I
am so happy in a place like this.

Mary
hands-on impresario
Tegel  Design +  Planning