BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
david west <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "The Cracked Monitor"
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 20:51:13 +0100
Thanks for the insights Bruce.

Diners are not part of our landscape.  We have roadhouses, attached to our service (gas) stations, but only out in the country on the long haul trips.  Historically they served toasted sandwiches, pies and pasties and milkshakes.  Now they're being replaced by burger franchises which are even worse!

In the city, we used to have takeaway fish'n'chip shops (who also did hamburgers - proper ones, not the chain crap), until the Italians (who arrived after the war) grew up, when we got pizza places.  There were also the late night food stops which were caravans from which all manner of exotica were served:  steak sandwiches, pie floaters (bet nobody on BP knows what a pie floater is - a bottle of Australian red wine for the first person to work it out - and Ian Evans is ineligible).

But diners ... I'll have to go check out the website.

Thanks again

david