BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 22:36:47 -0800
On a faintly related note, we had our annual Town Meeting today.  This is
about as pure democracy as you will find in this day and age.  We, in our
town, don't nominate and vote from the floor for town officers anymore but
a lot of towns still do.  That was the part I particularly enjoyed too.  I
didn't make too big a fool of myself although I did get up and speak
several times.  At least my husband hasn't disowned me yet.

Many years ago, on my first trip to the "small town" of Little Ferry, NJ I
asked our friends where they held their Town Meeting--they had no idea what
a Town Meeting was.  I don't know how on earth you folks manage to do the
town's business if you don't have Town meetings.  This is just a fact of
life here, Town Meeting and sugaring season they just go together.  My
brother boiled tonight for the first time this season--don't know how much
he made though.

BTW anyone who thinks Little Ferry, NJ is a small town has never been up
this way.  Ruth

John Callan wrote:

Now you've distracted me again! Damn! I'm trying to prepare for the
caucuses tonight. I plan to propose that we simply get the state out of the
marrige sanctioning business, give everybody a civil contract and let the
religious right have their way with love and morality and all the squishy
stuff! (I'll stay close the exit and away from the boiling pot of tar.)

-jc
--
Ruth Barton
Dummerston, VT