BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Trelstad, Derek" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Infarct a Laptop Daily"
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 11:27:38 -0500
Ya, I've noticed that man. As a kid we always used a well-seasoned (read
quite blackened) aluminium popper with integral electric coil. Plug in
popper base. Pour oil to line on side of popper. Add 1/3 cup corn. Put
popper on base. (My father's friend Pete -- who's real name was Arthur --
set the first of these units on fire; Dad suspects he was pouring oil too
near the hot base.) Wait to popping started. Shake whole assembly toward end
of popping to minimize burn to lower kernels. Beats popping in a pan. Wasn't
as cool as Jiffy Pop. Only appliance my parents owned -- next to a few
standard items received as wedding gifts.

Used the popper for many years for preparing dinner -- halcyon bachelor days
when I could eat popcorn for dinner; now sits on the shelf calling out for
attention. It's neighbor, the (broken) waffle iron my grandmother bought for
me (!) for my first Christmas (I was just a month old), is chromed cast iron
and also crying for a little TLC -- particularly now that it has been
functionally replaced by a new Cuisinart waffle maker that is fast,
reliable, and 100% Non-Stick. But, prone to melt. First of the new irons
melted before we even got a waffle in the thing. House stunk for days. One
of the reasons the old cast-iron unit sits on the shelf.

Popcorn, waffles...I'm getting hungry for lunch. Anybody out there free for
lunch in Chelsea?