BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 2010 18:52:58 -0800
Ruth
A few folks recommended species of wood & milling specs for your
store's porch deck. When I was faced with a similar task, I despaired
that I couldn't get milled cottonwood (not poplar). I'm old enough to
remember wood-floored trucks and trailers. The old guys said the
decking was cottonwood and was common in wagon floors. I did have rhe
good fortune of living where we had cottonwoods and a local miller. We
had him 1/4-saw planks, then Milland plane to approx. 2 x 5 -inch
planks-- each step preceded by cure time. We installed the planks on a
summer kitchen floor which took a beating -- traffic, hosing, and four
seasons of weather. I had use of it four four or five years and it
remained in superb condition. My understanding is that cottonwood,
properly milled and cured, is strong in all three directions, thus
resists cupping, wowing, splitting, etc. and holds up to abrasion.
I've been thinking about this and respectfully offer this comment.

Mary
Mary Tegel
hands on impresario
architectural intern