BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Leeke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
plz practice conservation of histo presto eye blinks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2008 08:54:14 -0500
 >>Hop hornbeam sounds kinda right... can you see if younger versions that
don't get past the 10-15' growth have long thorns. <<

About 7 years ago I put an Eastern Hop Hornbeam in my side yard. Jeff,
our city forester selected it and his crew planted it for us. It was
about 2" caliper  x 7' tall when we planted, has been growing thriftily
since and is now nearly 6" caliper and just stretched up past the eves
of the house, which are 32' above the ground. No thorns on this tree,
but with its rather smooth bark does look, as Ken says, "muscular" .

John
My hero since I was ten:  J. Sterling Morton.