BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:48:23 -0800
It is, indeed, true that if someone died when the ground was frozen that
they were "stored" and buried after the ground thawed.  It is still not
uncommon.  In the old days the body was kept in the "cemetery vault," a
"room" built into the side of a hill in the cemetery, usually of stone.  I
was in one just this past summer in one of our local cemeteries.  Now I
think the mortuaries have cold storage for bodies.  Ruth

At 12:47 AM -0500 12/29/04, [log in to unmask] wrote:
In a message dated 12/28/2004 2:00:22 AM Central Standard Time, Ruth writes:

Thanks for the explanation of The Bronx.  Now how about the other four?
parts of NYC?

I am not sure ; but I had an ancestor that was credited for naming
" Staten Island"
seems he was on the crows nest of Hudsons Half Moon when he nudges his ship
mate and calls out .
                              .Hey  " Is Dat- an- Island"

Now is it true that back in the day ( before they had air conditioning in
Vermont;) that if you died in winter they wouldn't bury you till spring
hense..... Cold storage .......Take my wife ...somebody Please....Py

--
Ruth Barton
Dummerston, VT