BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
adaptive re-use is from the department of repetitive redundancy division <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Dec 2007 15:14:25 -0500
c,

God bless you.

If the electric and phone company and the folks that put the fuel oil in
the tank would extend me the same courtesy to tell me that I can pay
them when I feel fully satisfied then I would not need to ask for an
advance. It is not simply an issue of satisfaction with the quality of
the work or the service. There can be a whole slew of misperceptions and
unfounded expectations that result in nonpayment and they can have very
little to do with if what was intended to be promised was delivered, or
even if not more than that was delivered. And then there are simply
those folks who practice thievery.

I met an architect recently who told me about his work on a golf club
for Donald Trump and at the completion of the project with $100,000
invoiced the Trump guys said, "Donald says he has paid you enough." That
settled out $.20 on the dollar. Then Trump needed some work done on an
outhouse at the golf course and called the architect and asked him for
all the landscape contour data. The architect asked, "Hey, don't you
need an architect?" Donald said he already had one. The architect, "What
about me?" Donald, "You are too expensive."

I understand from someone else that Donald says in one of his books not
to pay your suppliers.

I had a friend who did some really fine and honest work on Hudson River
Park and when he went in to negotiate the change orders that he was
stupid enough not to get the 'paperwork' nailed on they had a crew of
like 20 people in a room that battered him down on every single request.
It was a legalese paperwork nightmare with well skilled henchmen. He had
flown all the way down from Canada at his own expense to get reamed. He
won't work in NY now for anything. It was easier for him to rebuild the
flying buttresses on the Canadian parliament library... leastways he got
paid fair and honest.

I met a fellow just the other day who told me that after 18 years as a
general contractor he quit because the churches put him under. His quip,
"What do you say when you go to court... the church ripped me off?" His
advice to me was to ask for an 80% advance on any residential or church
work.

The lady that contracted us to do work on the front of her townhouse
never told me that she needed it all done before the social party that
she was going to have in 10 days until after we had started the work.
She then refused to pay more than half of the cost of the work because
the field superintendent rolled his eyes and that must of meant he was
incompetent.

Despite my weariness over the issue of chasing for dollars I really like
the customers that pay us before we do the work. Despite what anyone may
think about it those are the ones that get the first attention.

][<