BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rudy Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 2010 11:11:31 -0500
White oak is very durable and sustainable. That said, it is also a bit finicky to work with. It machines quite well, but has extreme variation in density between heartwood and sapwood as well as early wood vs. late wood. It also has one of the greatest variations in tangential dimensional stability during moisture cycling. In other words, if it is flat sawn (sawn faces tangential to the growth rings) it expands and contracts significantly based on the ambient moisture content of the environment it is placed in (relative humidity). That is why oak flooring was traditionally quarter sawn (sawn faces perpendicular to the growth rings) which made is much less susceptible to moisture cycling. Unfortunately quarter sawn white oak flooring can be quite costly, although well worth the investment. If you can't get quarter sawn white oak, I would suggest maple or hickory would be a better choice.

As far as sustainable South American wood goes, this spring I was in Peru, looking at a project to build a timber frame community center for the residents of the Pucasana barrio. Pucasana is a coastal desert town south of Lima. I was assured the wood we would be using was being sustainably harvested. I had an opportunity to meet the supplier and was surprised that it was actually a resaw mill. The owner bought large cants of tropical wood and resawed it into timbers and planks which were available rough sawn or planed. He had a watch monkey and a shop full of large ancient machinery that would have made any safety inspector's hair stand straight up which was connected to a distribution center with no cover that he would pull and push wires in and out of fuse clips to make the machine he was using run. I asked him (through an interpreter) where the wood came from. Other than from the mountains, he didn't know. I didn't ask him if he knew what sustainable harvest meant.

Rude E
Helping put the *Shine* on HP