BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
A man of honor pays his debts with his own money. --DeGaulle
Date:
Thu, 20 May 2004 10:37:48 -0500
Ralph,

If you've got an active infestation of termites, then you have rot
everywhere they are working.  You might think of it as rot is what they
create.  The little buggers are dragging mud and water into the wood
parts of the house and eating and pooping the wood.  Rot organisms just
love the juicy wet left-overs.

Note "IF" you have an active infestation.  Get an opinion from someone
who has nothing to gain whether you do or not.  Also, identify where
they have built their tunnels that give them access to the ground,
water and your building.  They really don't often go to elaborate
length to defy gravity and build long tunnels over long distances of
inedible materials.

BUT, IF you have a real honest to God termite infestation, you are
dealing with a delicate, but superior critter.  Don't underestimate
your adversary.  In southerly climates they can eat a normal ranch
house in a season or two.  Best defense...move north.

If you do have an infestation, you will have to identify how they are
accessing the building and cut that access off.  With luck you can kill
off the ones that have set up housekeeping in the house.  But, you will
have to dig trenches and fill them with toxic materials to prevent new
infestations.  You need to cut off their water supply.  Grading and
redirecting you downspouts will help.  Get the damned vegitation away
from the building and for goodness sake, don't store your scrap lumber
and firewood beside the building.  The bait station approach makes some
sense as a prophylactic.  But grading and water management are
critical.

As for your real question...Yup.  Start taking the building apart.
Better yet, do what the termite would do, find another victim.

-jc