BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:15:49 -0800
Leland,  Where do you farm?  We don't have much space between the killing
and the eating either.  Just did the turkey in this afternoon.  Ours
weighed in at 40#.  We knew he'd be big.  We bought him about 6 wks ago
from a guy who said he wanted to get rid of him because he was eating so
much.  Has a nice fat layer under the skin so he'll be nice and moist,
won't need to inject him with butter!

As to hunting, we're lazy hunters.  We wait for neighbors to hit one in
front of the house with a car.  Happened last yr and we got a nice 135#
buck out of it.

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving.  Anyone going to the big parade?  Ruth

At 5:26 AM -0500 11/23/04, Leland Torrence wrote:
Hey Michael, great morning reading as usual. I don't hunt any more and the
24 pound turkey I let, dressed and plucked on Sunday was farm raised, but I
make sure my young boys are involved.  I think it is important not to allow
too much distance between the killing and eating;  one looses respect.
However, I could have bagged the two six pointers on my lawn yesterday with
a lacrosse ball.  Our sub-urban Romeos have little fear.  In the summer
they jump the pool fence and eat the young hastia at my window.  We had a
great blue Heron stop at the court yard in June and enjoy an appetizer of
26 coy and one baby snapper from the fountain.  Laura and I like to sit out
there in the early morning and watch the fish and turtles, not much of a
show after Mr. Beady Eye's visit.
Best,
Leland
--