BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 07:22:19 -0600
Dan,

I want to thank you for presenting this idea.  It was kind of a germ in
the background of my thoughts, but I hadn't turned my attention to it.
On another front I've been working on what may be an odd approach to
historic structures reports.  For the most part these drawings were
created because I needed a model to illustrate the points I was trying
to make and to keep the reader oriented so he knew where in the
building the point I was making was located.

But, why not link the chapter heading to an animation, that moves you
through the building to the location, and shows the location from
several points of view.  If you have it on CD or DVD, can't you insert
quick time movies in with text?

I'm sticking to a text structure, because it’s expected.  It’s
standard.  Some folks want only a book to sit on a shelf so they can
point to it and say, "I did what was required."  But the folks who
actually want to use the information, will not object to a CD/DVD full
of links, illustrations, videos...at least, that's what I've been
thinking.

(Yes, I will do it in iMovie, iPhoto, AppleWorks, Quicktime and such,
but in the end it will be delivered in something very standard.  You
can push my zealot button, but like every other button of mine, it may
not be exactly where its expected.  My button is the "craftsman and his
tools" button.  I would not tell a painter which brushes to purchase, a
plumber which wrenches to keep in his tool box, a carpenter, what
hammer is standard.  I resent not being given the same respect.)

-jc