BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
david west <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Afghanistan of the preservation movement.
Date:
Sat, 8 Dec 2001 05:40:46 +1100
 --- Mary Brush <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I am looking for information on the hardware choices
> between new galvanized
> steel shelf angles that are to be bolted back to
> existing steel brackets.
> What is your experience / theory / general
philosophy
> on  cold mechanical A325 SC bolts, galvanized
> hardware, or only galvanized nuts and washers,
> or using a nylon/ neoprene separator at the washers?

No experience (i.e. never had the chance to go back
and look at a replacement which has weathered for
another 70-80 years).

Theory says don't use different metals (that includes
ordinary steel with galvanized, or stainless with
galvanised) without separation ... and it's not easy
to separate bolts from brackets, even with coated
washers.

General philosophy ... depends on what is being
supported by angles.  If the angles are likely to get
wet regularly, i.e. they are supporting sandstone,
limestone or brickwork, then I would have no
hesitation in using galvanised bolts and nuts with the
brackets.  Be aware that some contractors will try to
use zinc-plated in lieu of galvanised, claiming that
they are the same thing.  They are not.  Galvanised
nuts and bolts are horrible looking things that can be
awkward to use.  Zinc-plated run the risk of losing
the zinc plating when they are tightened!

For what it is worth, if I were specifying it, I would
always ask for galvanised bolts and nuts with
galvanised shelf angles.

As a bit of useless information, there is the
possibility that down here in Sydney, the local
council (read authority) might require that the angle
be stainless steel, depending on the material that is
being supported, and the ability of the structural
engineer to convince them that an alternative would be
adequate!

Cheers
david

PS  it ain't whining, but that doesn't mean it's not noise

http://shopping.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Shopping
- Free CDs for thousands of Priority Shoppers!