BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
sbmarcus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 18:41:11 -0500
You wrote:

 Mid-coast Maine? Have we met? I'm in Portland, Maine. Tell me
> more about your work, I'd like to be able to recommend you to my clients
up
> that way.

No, except in the alternative universe. You answered a couple of my queries
to PL.

My work- 25 years a self-employed furniture maker and antique restorer.
Have made furniture in all period styles of the last 300 years. Ditto for
the age and styles of the pieces I have restored. My shop is designed to
facilitate the use of hand tools, though I do have, and even sometimes use,
the usual complement of power equipment.

When I first arrived in Maine, 25 years ago, I engaged in what then passed
for house restoration work while I built my homeplace and established my
shop business. Never did anything I feel good about today.

Since then I have done a fair amount of work as a subcontractor to local
early house-restorers, repairing woodwork, replacing woodwork and, lately,
especially, matching finishes on new or stripped woodwork to whatever
evidence is left of older finishes. Do a lot of paint restoration.

I also run a fair amount of moldings by hand for restorers to patch
existing moldings, or replace missing stuff.

Hope that answers your question, but if you want to know more, feel free to
ask. I'm a wordy cuss.

Bruce