BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Met History <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv which takes flossing seriously! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 May 2005 14:41:20 -0400
<<<I would think there's a good possibility that the frou-frou sections
you're amazed by could have been made up (and soldered together) from
smaller pieces which might've been easier to fabricate in whatever sort
of presses they had.   it's not the size of the section that interests
me, but rather the pressing of the sheet of galvanized into what I
think is called a complex conic section, where the flute spiral around
the axis (as opposed to just up and down).  Cast iron, being poured,
offers itself nicely to such a mold. But galvanized iron, being pressed
from flat sheets, seems difficult to mold in this way. >>>

Thank you for actually reading the post!!! (unlike the prior
responders!!!)

Why do I think it's a single sheet, instead of laid up as you suggest?
Well, I don't necessarily think that.  But I see straight-lateral seams
across each column/pilaster, dividing them into thirds.   And I don't
see any other seams.   There is a mate to this house at the other end
of the row, with the same conditions.   Seems to me that, over 130
years, other seams would have "sprung" that just the simple lateral
ones now in evidence.

"Complex conic section".  I'm going to remember that.  Use it on the
next bike messenger who takes a swing at me.

Thanks, Cuyler!

christopher in richmond va