BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Diaz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 10:51:26 -0500
Met History wrote:

> ... whenever I drill into 1910's/1920's mudset bathroom tile for a hole for a
> lead anchor.

Luddite- remember better living through plastic-
Why not use lead wool or a wood dowel.

But them I'm a big fan of "Tap-Con" anchorless screws

> The "masonry bit" chatters around like Ken when he has to take
> a leak at a jobsite meeting, and when I finally get into the real stuff
> behind it is such slow going that I begin to think of buying one of those
> nail guns.

Forget the ramset- but use the ramset nail to punch the glazing @ the
tile-gently-
some guys believe in putting a piece of masking tape over the spot to be drilled
first, then punching-
the trick is to give the drill bit some purchase other wise it's skittering
around like Drew looking for a simile-
drill slowly- this might be one of the first things you look @ in the morning
for the rest of your life.

Back when I worked for a living- if it was hole that absotootly had to be on the
money I might take the time
to pre-bore a piece of ply to use as a template, hot melt glue it to the tile &
bore through it.

Drew "I'm not an Engineer, but I do Play one on TV" Diaz