BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"Let us not speak foul in folly!" - ][<en Phollit
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 22:00:26 -0500
Strange which emails I hang onto thinking that I'll return to them when
time permits.  Stranger still the ones I actually get around to
responding too...long have their relevance has faded into oblivion.

As well you know, what is wrong with it is that it is not history.  It
relates neither the craft of the tradesmen, nor the good sense of the
designer or owner, let alone the lumberman and the millwright.  It is
an impression.  You may as well build a foam core box and glue photos
of a cozy farmstead of yore, if all you want is something that looks
like something to folks who never saw the real thing in the first place.

I got nothing against petrochemicals...when they become historic I'll
deal with them...and perhaps even learn to appreciate the skills of the
installers...if things have deteriorated to that point.  If these
things gain significance, if they become the elements of material
culture that express our time, that will be their value.  They will
have value for this time.

But!  To replace wood siding or slate with plastic is an abomination.

(Falsetto) Oh! but it looks the same and its affordable and isn't it
lovely to save these old buildings!  And it makes us all feel
sooooooooo good that we didn't have to tear down old Mr Macgruder's
place.  BS!  Save it or do not save it, but don't go providing cover
and warm fuzzys to folks who haven't the spheres to do it right and
bare the costs, or tear it down because it could not be done
economically.

I gotta go.

-jc