BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Norm/Ilene Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 13:43:56 -0500
I can't keep up with my email, but, wanting to continue this thread, I
offer support to the concept of living communities that may not be
heritage destinations.  We are struggling to create guidelines to
preserve a rural crossroads village in the middle of Canton Township,
Michigan.  This is almost an anachroism, as Canton Township is the
epitome of aggressive suburban development without a traditional town
center.  However, the crossroads known as Cherry Hill still has an
identity that the township is committed to preserve.  Our job is to
define its character-defining features that can be retained and enhanced
by guidelines for the inevitable new development.  Just ten years ago we
prepared guidelines to preserve the rural character, and, never formally
adopted, the project is now redefined to allow development that will
counter that, but still retain the essence of the original crossroads
community.  It will be most interesting when we get to the stage where
we engage the community in the process and seek community input and
response.

Ilene