BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Brian Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yes, we set off an A-bomb but we are really sorry about it.
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2006 16:06:23 +0000
It was the GK salary controversy that sent Gov. Jesse "The Body" Ventura into a rage over state funding for various Public Broadcasting programs in Minnesota. He thought that it was insane that GK was paid such a huge salary partially funded by Minnesota tax payers. He was also pissed that GK could use his taxpayer funded bully pulpit to poke fun at the wrestling governor. Clearly, political satire is not one of Jesse's favorite forms of artistic expression.

I like PHC. I think that it is one of the best and most commercially viable products on Public Radio. The jokes and skits can be repetitive, Guy Noir for example, but even a mediocre "News from Lake Wobegon is usually far superior to the crap that is on commercial radio and television. It is like a soap opera. You can quit watching for years and come back to the same story line and characters. There is comfort in that. If I had to chose between Howie Stern, Horny Housewives, American Idiot or PHC I would opt for PHC. My favorite part is usually the musical guests anyway. GK often masks a smug air of intellectual and cultural superiority within his down home folksy radio persona which makes my skin crawl. Michael Moore gives me the creeps in the same way.

My wife hates PHC. She thinks that it is boring and annoying. I just asked her and that is all she has to say about that!

I was disappointed to hear that "This American Life" is going to start being on television. This seems like a stupid idea to me. Without the "theatre of the mind" it might just as well be a loopy Frontline episode.

Brian