BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Royal Order of Lacunae Pluggers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 10:51:41 -0800
][<en:

You are certainly welcome to attend the gathering, as are other
non-lurkers...let me know who so I can be prepared.  It's pretty
informal though.  No big whoop.

If anyone can steer me to the "NARA document" or ICAMOS' reporting on
their sessions, or for that matter other good reading on
authenticity, I would be appreciative.  Bob Silman gave me a copy of
Walter Benjamin, Illuminations, "The Work of Art in the Age of
Mechanical Reproduction", a slowly digested read, but with some great
insights..."The presence of the original is the prerequisite to the
concept of authenticity."  Sounds pretty basic to me, but as Deb said
in her recent response, trouble comes when project participants are
not agreed on the definitions.  I find that you can argue yourself
blue in the face over principles, but only when you share a common
vocabulary and get down to examples of where principles may or may
not apply do you find room for individual opinion and expression.
And I believe that even in historic preservation there is room for
interpretation, individual expression and...artistic approach, just
as when the buildings were new.  If it were easy to do well everyone
would be doing it well.  And you know all aren't.

Ask your difficult questions.  Ask them on line.  I'm sure others
here would be interested.

Cheers!
Rev. Jim