BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 1997 08:59:35 -0500
From:   [log in to unmask] (Anni Abramowicz)

I've been trying to convince Anni to subscribe to BP. I think from the
following message she sent to me directly at ARWNY, she may be an asset to
BP. Since I am the one that dumped her out of the canoe she may be hesitant
to follow my suggestions. If a fe kind BP preservationists could send her
some missives she may be encouraged to make the dive.

The next one to get is Kent Diebolt, of Vertical Access... he is the rock
climber that climbs steep buildings in several bounds. He is going to Poland
with Vitek and I next week (on an areoplane w/ workboots) and if we can get
the rest of the party to accept Gab & Eti we will be having a good time. Gab
is still planning to row to Poland... but Vitek and I have hidden his oars.
We told him we had purchased an inflatable kayak and would put it in the
overhead compartment. Vitek knows also about rowing, as well as Kent.

November 22, 1997
I have just returned from Puerto Rico to find a slew of ARWNY mail - which I
of course scanned for my name.  It re-appeared in conjunction with boating
activities.  As I prefer to jump from boat rather than being thrown off I
went out a number of dives with my preferred dive shop.   I logged an
additional 11 dives during this last visit.  PR is a nice dive site and I
would recommend it to PIN divers - dive shops:  Coral Sea divers and Sea
Ventures.   I saw a number of sea turtles- one quite large about 80lbs,
puffers, jellies, - crabs, shrimp, lobster on the night dives.  Rumors of 4'
barracuda and large morays were also noted.  For those who prefer to find
their consultants via the diving network - I met some electrical engineers
and contractors (Florida based)  I also met a large number of pilots in case
any PIN member has a DC-10.

Between dives I met with Gloria Ortiz the deputy SHPO of PR (thanks to Kent
Diebolt of Vertical Access) who introduced me to a number of architects and
archeologists - I spoke at length with Miguel Bonini, the state archeologist,
regarding underwater sites and Gloria regarding efforts to educate the public
of their cultural heritage as well as the duplication of effort of research,
technically and theoretically among disciplines and associations.  I also
brought up the possibility of an APT meeting in PR in the coming years.
 (between dives of course).  Given the wealth of Puerto Rican cultural
heritage that's apparent on the Island, I began to wonder how broadly it's
disseminated on the mainland - either to the Puerto Rican community here or
to the public at large.  PR would be a good conference site particularly if
there's any interest in drawing the New York Puerto community into the effort
- either way, it appears to being developing as an important  North America -
South America hub.

I also visited the 16th century Spanish forts again as they are stunning
 (Photographs on request). and also spent quite a bit of time in Old San Juan
looking at the architecture.  For a small town, there's a massive amount of
restoration going on - re the HUMUS product - these guys apparently have it
already -