BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
His reply: “No. Have you read The Lazy Teenager by Virtual Reality?”" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2006 07:27:01 -0200
[log in to unmask] wrote:

>     Thomas Hastings, in recommending against the cleaning the Vermont
>     marble of his grand New York Public Library:
>
> *   ***
> *As for blotches in the stone*

I still weigh in in favor of less cleaning than more. BBH, of Tuckahoe
Marble mixed w/ Georgie Marble replacements  was blasted the entire
exterior w/ glass beads in order to even out the coloration, a year
after Polonia had cleaned it w/ chemicals & water blast. Of course it
looked like crap before this. I simply favor the, "Let us not clean too
harshly," technique. That Hastings would have even thought anything of
this is what I find intriguing.

I kinda doubt that the NY PL was built w/ Tuckahoe Marble. Boss Tweed
owned the quarry. The stone was crap to begin with. At some point after
he was gone the quarry, in Westchester shut down never to open again.
That is why inserting Georgia Marble here & there becomes a problem.
Georgia Marble is a much more cohesive stone with fewer occlusions, less
embedded iron, and higher durability to acid rain weathering. You put
Georgia Marble in a Tuckahoe Marble facade it is going to stick out.

A building built w/ Tuckahoe Marble, such as Tweed Courthouse or Grace
Church, has a particular appearance if left alone that will distinguish
the stone from all other... though one aesthetic may think it looks like
crap a more liberal, and green aesthetic will take it as for what it is
and not try to make it look like what it is not. If we go w/ form
follows function then why not appearance follows nature? I presume the
legendary ego of some architects would not be able to abide the
intervention of nature in their creations.

There are lesser known TM facades in the city. Some of them get cleaned,
and some of them do not.

][<